Monday, July 14, 2008

Whats in A Name???

While a was busy glancing the ever nostalgic Roxas Boulevard on my way to work..... a thought hit me... literally..... a gust of wind came in and made the ID of driver hit me on the head.... saw his name,,, was it an epiphany??? I dont know, but in a way it hurts... what does it got to do with the blog I am writing........ NONE... just like the dramatic effect..... seriously before I was bothered by the silly ID, I was already thinking whats in a name... how come some names are famous... and why are some great endorsers....

I was already thinking about this years back... like in my case, I kinda regret my parents for giving me such a lame name... that is why I am using Jake..... it has more of the catchy feel, dont you think??

Lets take the case of Michael Jordan, the sheer mentioning of the name already gives you visions of greatness.... what if some signs of stupidity of his parents, they suddenly name him Gusting or Gorgonio.... it wont sound right... same with his last name.... Jordan..... what if his last name was different like ahhh , Bagonggahasa... Air Bagonggahasa would not sound right....... Its just some names are bound or assciated with greatness..... like Tiger Woods, Einstein, David Blaine... the recall and association factor is just great.....

Perhaps that is also the reason why some great people in the past and present changed their name.... here are some of the samples....:

Real Name Famous Name
  1. Eric Weisz ( his name did a disappearing act) --- Harry Houdini
  2. Samuel Langhorne Clemens( keeping it simple)---- Mark Twain
  3. Cordozer Broadus (the is not going to shizzle my dizzle) ---Snoop Dogg
  4. Thomas Mapother IV (who would fall crazy for such a name) ------ Tom Cruise
  5. Demetria Guynes (Ashton must have been Punk'd) --- Demi Moore
  6. Steveland Morris ( I guess his parents were also blind in choosing names) ---- Stevie Wonder
  7. Jon Francis Bongiovi Jr. (surely he was living on prayer when growing up) ---- Jon Bon Jovi
  8. Kenny Gorelick ( last name is not really romantic) ----- Kenny G.
And the list would definitely go on... but what I am saying here is that names does make a huge difference...

I also read on article years back that we Filipinos has a knack for word play in names... like we are found of using Baby as a name for a kid.. its cute when you are young but what if your 80 years old.. will be called Lola Baby???? Thats wrong...

or putting an H or extra consonant or vowel to make it cute... believe me.. its not cute, its on its way to crossing the irritating level.

So for those who are planning to name their kids real soon.. think about it, make sure your kid's name a a ring of famous into it.... But not to the point that you would name your kid, Lebron James Santos, or Chris Paul Soriano, or Baby James Yapati..... or Miley Cyrus Baguio ( two famous names, hahahaha)

Think first, so that no regrets later.....

No comments: